'Konthayum Poonoolum' Stuff

                The stuff which Konthayum Poonoolum is made of is the stuff I’d like to buy a whole nine yards of, wrap around myself and go to sleep with…(with all the lights ON of course). Konthayum Poonoolum
had me on the edge of my seat right from the beginning with two others comfortably snoozing away on either side of me and a third one burying her face in my bosom, busy with her intermittent whining to go home cum peeping into the screen from time to time. A first hand summing up tells me that the movie evoked diverse reactions from its
diverse audience!

       I loved KP for its affair with the disjoint aspects of life, death, faith, destiny, irony, belief, superstitions, fact and fiction. I congratulate KP for coming in as a fresh surprise, when in fact overall expectations had only amounted to nothing more than a formulaic hindu-christian love story or its clichéd likes. These presumptions, I must say arose from the highly-deceptive conservative-sounding title of the movie, and obviously from not having read any reviews of the movie (of which I am totally glad of now). KP came as a surprise treat, an answer to my craving for some harrowing horror on a platter since the past few days. 

                The narrative is fashioned as a series of seemingly loose threads looming over the dark pit of reason that one can attempt to weave together in one’s mind into a single rope, to attempt to climb downwards to the very end of the bottomless pit of consciousness and reason.

                A stunning attempt by debutant director Jijo Antony, Konthayum Poonoolum orbits around mankind’s never-ending fascination with fantasy and fear of the supernatural. There is a conscious attempt to close the gaping gaps of the mysterious sequences that punctuate the entire movie, with tidbits of rationality. 
But just when the audience is lulled into a fleeting rational calm, the winds change course and the movie draws to a close in a supernatural spiral, juxtaposing the real and the unreal, astounding one and all and leaving us to wonder if the human mind will ever find answers to every question that it encounters during a lifetime. The movie thinks beyond a linear plot. Many a thing is left unexplained, unsaid & undone and isn’t that what life is all about? A beautiful work of art, as far as I can say.



Pic Courtesy: http://www.malayalam.zustcinema.com/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the show begin!

Colossal Contemplations

Summer on wheels!