Conversation Histories: 'Packing' for bed

From in-between the clank clank of vessels in the kitchen, I could make out heavily accented telemarketing commercial voices emanating from the main hall where the TV had previously been spewing out Doraemonish Chotta Bheemish voices. Sensing that it was time for my kiddo to hit bed, I called out to her, “Bedtime…now go brush your teeth like a good girl..” 

After continuing with my kitchen scouring for a few more minutes I realized that the telemarketing show was still on with the mock American accented Hindi speaking female voice continuing to wax eloquent on the 199 benefits of some bogus gym contraption that guaranteed all the right things in all the right places. What my brat was doing there listening to it puzzled me. ‘She might have slept off on the divan', I thought. Even if that was not the case, Silence had never been a healthy sign when it came to my baby angel. I moved to the hall to see what was happening. A mind-boggling sight greeted my eyes..

Our yoga mat on which hardly any yoga is done lay neatly on the floor of the hall, an excited 5 year old sprawled on top of it in an innocent imitation of the American beauty on screen. Furious exercising was in progress. In a hapless tone which I think was mingled with impatience and utter shock I asked, ‘May I know what’s going on?’…

Her: I am exercising, can’t you see that.
Me: Yes, I can see that, but why?
Her: *puffing & panting* I need muscles.
Me: Whattt?
Her: *Pointing to the TV* That auntie’s got a good set of packs on her tummy. I need some too.

I slowly proceeded to switch off the TV despite her protests and went on to make her bed. After quickly brushing her teeth the little missy ran to where I was standing, turned sideways, drew a deep breath and asked, 

‘Look carefully amma, have my packs started to show?’

I looked into her serious eyes for a few seconds and the next moment crashed on to the bed laughing hard.
A gory pillow attack ensued…

And then, Sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the show begin!

Colossal Contemplations

Summer on wheels!