Vantage Point




'I don’t know how much of 'subtle' phallic symbolism can be impregnated into my words if I say; every popular world cup ever played on this globe had always been about men & balls... Well, women may have rocked a million cradles. She might have made fundamental contributions to arts, science, math or sports. Women might have made the world go round, and eyes go 'rounder' in this microcosm where she gets stared at hard, by a certain section of the society that suffers from a condition of the worst kind, a certain species of mortals who cannot help but stare on, indifferent to her age, appearance or emotions. And at the end of it all… no golden cup awaits her, no golden boot laces to tie...'

I had switched off close to around 29.5% of my consciousness concerning my immediate surroundings as I sat immersed in such random rants at one of my most loved vantage points in the world, the bus window seat. It was not raining outside anymore & the fresh monsoon air was briskly refreshing. The bus was jam-packed with its share of drenched & semi-drenched people, and fully drenched & dripping umbrellas. The bus conductor was nowhere in sight & appeared to have drowned in the middle of nowhere after being swept out to the sea of sodden humanity. 

As I raised my eyes from the fluttering currency note in my hand and looked upwards I finally saw him. I could see only his head & a pair of eyes looking straight at me. I raised my currency note at him & was about to open my mouth when lo! his gaze shifted to the lady next to me. I looked at her too, nodding my head at her, hinting her to do the honors first so that I can follow suit. My nod was met with a little white printed ticket that she wiggled at me grumpily from between her fingers. By then I could hear the real conductor's voice as well, from behind where we were seated, going about his business as usual. I looked up again to see the same pair of wide eyes fixedly staring in our direction. I stood up a bit, stretched my hand towards those ogling eyes & waved the currency note in front of his face, loudly asking for a ticket. The guy did a speedy 180 degrees turn suddenly displaying the back of his head to my face. A few more 'naive' "Excuse me Sir"s that were emitted from my loudspeaker ensured he maintained the same poise for the rest of the journey. 

Of course I had realized that he was just another one of those gifted countrymen of ours, blessed with extraordinary visual-focus skills that cannot be contained. And this was just another harmless antidote from up my sleeve that I often administered when bitten by such talent-bugs pursuing the ‘great Indian pastime’… 

I knew how to have tortured him further... but honestly, what a waste of time! And I was just not in the mood either. I had so many other things to think about... looking out at the speeding world outside from my vantage point.



Photo Courtesy: Google

Comments

  1. Hilarious, this one.
    If I put the keywords of this post together, it'll make for a funny post in itself, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I do! And that's the tragi-comedy of it...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let the show begin!

Colossal Contemplations

Summer on wheels!