Conversation Histories: It’s a Peacock thing!

Me: Hello…Hello….Amma… can you hear me?

Amma: You just left! What happened?

Me: (*excitedly*) ….Amma… there’s a peacock perched on the rooftop of a house on my way to the bus stop!!!

Amma: (*skeptically*) Look more closely…that must be a crow or a hen. Peacock!? Ha… and that too in Trivandrum??? Mmm but…are you sure it’s one?…look more carefully…

Me: (*irritated*desperate*): Aiyyooooo….IT IS A PEACOCK!!! I’m SURE.

Amma : (*uncertainly*): eh?... mmm…

Me: (*nail-bitingly*) Wait!! Guess I was a bit too loud. I’ve scared it off. Ohh!  It’s jumped on to the coconut grove adjacent to the house now. Ah! There it is…I am watching it.

Amma: (*blandly*) What’s it doing now?

Me: (*breathlessly*) It’s pecking at the ground & strutting around in the grove. Oh!... I wish I was carrying a camera phone at least… I could’ve shown you…

Amma: (*non-chalantly*): Pecking at the ground…hmmm….that’s exactly what a guinea fowl does. Look properly once again. I’m sure it’s one.

Me: (*angrily*) Grrr….You think I’m blind?!!? It’s a P-E-A-C-O-C-K!!! Ok… I’ll talk to you later. I’m moving. I better not miss my bus.

Amma: Good Thinking. Bye. (*disconnects*)


I see an old-man-sitting-on-a- broken-wall-chewing-pan about a few meters ahead of the peacock-discovery-grove…


Me: Hi Uncle!

Old man: (*shocked*) ….mumbles something like a ‘hello’

Me: (*excitedly*) Guess what! There’s a peacock in that grove you see over there…. (*pointing my fingers in that direction*) Please go & have a look when you are done with sitting here. (*sweet smile*)

Old man: (*looking plainly confused, nods his head and says*) Very Good…..Very Good...(*goes back to chewing & I walk on)


I turn back after a few seconds to see if he has moved from where he was sitting. The old man was clutching his tummy & shaking with laughter.


Me: (*rolling eyes*) Ahh…crazy world….or crazy me??? Anyway, I’ve successfully missed my bus! Cheers…



Pic Courtesy:  http://clipartist.info/


Comments

  1. LOL ! So was it a peacock after all?
    Once when we were travelling from Cochin to Bangalore we stopped at Coimbatore for breakfast. And on the opposite side of the road, a peacock was walking very casually. And nobody was even staring or looking at it a second time! It seems to be a daily sight over there! I was surprised that nobody was even looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES dear! Unless I wasn’t hallucinating on the idly & sambhar I had that morning, it was a peacock... and by all means ‘blue’...
    And you are right Anita, it takes a lot more than just a ‘peacock’ to awe people nowadays….times have changed :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let the show begin!

Colossal Contemplations

Summer on wheels!