Wonderella

 

Guess life is never complete without rewriting a fairy tale.

Scouring away cinders off the cold hearth at night, Ella wondered, ‘Will there ever be an end to this misery?’ As if negating her hopes, Ella heard her stepmother thunder from upstairs. "Ella, are you dreaming? If you have scrubbed the kitchen, come upstairs, make my bed and wash my feet." Ella lived with her stepmother and her two stepsisters who had always been mean to her.

Days passed on in drudgery. Deep within, Ella knew she was meant for something better in life. “What is my true calling?”, Ella would ask her reflection in the water barrel, to the squeaking mice in the barn and to the scudding clouds in the sky. “What do I really really want?”

One day, an envoy from the palace arrived with an invitation for the young ladies of the house. A royal ball at the palace! The crown prince was looking for a bride. Ella helped her sisters prepare for the ball. The ladies were particularly careful in keeping Ella busy so that she never got the time to find herself a gown.

On the day of the ball, Ella was raking through the attic for some spinning wool. She chanced upon a rare treasure. Her departed mother’s old wooden trunk. She had fond memories of her mother. She unlatched it. Lo and behold! There was a sparkle of fairy dust. A wise-looking woman appeared.

“I am your fairy godmother, Ella. Let me transform your look with a wave of my wand! You shall be the most beautiful damsel at the ball today. The prince will never take his eyes off you... Bibbidi… Bobbidi…”

“Oh, but wait!” Ella cut her off. “I am looking for something deeper. Something more meaningful… The ball never enticed me. Oh, wise woman, could you tell me how to find my true calling?”

The fairy godmother though taken aback, sighed smilingly, “I am so happy you asked, Ella. Look through your mother’s trunk and you shall find therein beautiful verses you had written as a child. Your mother had treasured them. It’s not late. Write, Ella. Write your heart out for the world to read. I know you love to read too. Here…” With a wave of her wand, the fairy godmother brought to Ella, piles and piles of books from all over the world. The attic had become a library.

She added, “And let me tell you dear, this magic spell would never wear off! What you read, remains with you for a lifetime. And may what you write remain in the hearts of all, forever.”

Ella’s joy knew no bounds. Filled with joy and a new found passion for life, Ella lived happily ever after.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the show begin!

Colossal Contemplations

Sorry, I was talking on mute!