Summer on wheels!

            It was that particular epoch of existence, when my life revolved around Salman Khan & roller skates. I’m talking about the pre-historic 3rd Std. goer - me - of the 90s surviving through childhood and its vagaries back in time when Salman Khan wore clothes and sported a gap in the middle of his front teeth and appeared to be as seemingly innocent as those darling Kabootars he was seen fondling lovingly from scene to scene in Maine Pyar Kiya.

             Days used to dawn way earlier then, say as early as 6 A.M.! Did I just perceive gasps of gastroenteric shock from diverse quarters? (Well… hold your gastrics ye merry pre-dawn souls, we’re dealing with a late a.m. birdie here). So I was saying… I was passing through one of the most thrilling phases of my moppet life. I’d sit quivering with excitement like a bullet waiting to be released on Achan’s trembling Yezdi until we reached the Museum grounds, which would've already become dotted with the pre-dawn types proudly displaying their ultra fluorescent roller skates of varying shapes & sizes, with frilly doting parents yelling,  ‘Go Tintu Go! ‘and the like in the background.

           My father, a staunch upholder of ‘frill-free’ism,  back then and even now, chose to believe in re-parking himself & his motorcycle at a safe distance, leaving me to skate & be skated over for the hour and a half that usually ensued.

           Wilfred Albert was the name of the man who taught me how to skate. Thanks to him & my own frenzied variations of what I made of skating, I have been able to deposit my roller prints (and skin prints too, at times) all over the Kowdiar & Museum region quite early in my life. All those ‘prints’ I could prudently save were spared for Friday evenings at the Shanghumukham Beach skating rink, where I’d ceremoniously deposit all the outstanding savings accrued over the week… in fine ‘prints’ of course.



Well, I cannot remember a string of happier days than those that I spent skating during my childhood. 

Simply the best! 

I tip my topi to Salman Khan and his skate-board that were glorified in a certain Hindi movie decades ago… for capturing my imagination, for titillating my senses, for inspiring me to blurt out with conviction to my father that I wished to learn nothing but skating that summer… for gifting me with one of the most memorable summers ever!

                                                                         Photo Courtesy: Google  

Comments

  1. nice post! this movie had a certain charm in it despite the stupidity of the direction, the plot, the acting and as well as the contribution of that kaboootar (with a high IQ) in rescuing the laila-majnu from typical filmy villans....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ankita. Yeah MPK still remains a charming movie for me... I still hum those songs occasionally :) Speaking of the kabootar with high IQ, I am also reminded of the high IQ doggie in Hum Aap Ke Hai Kaun, who saves the day for the hero & heroine...Now.. wht's with Sallu n high IQ animals!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes! that dog that leaves the room when ladies sangeet is about to begin for no men are allowed! lolzzzz! :D

      hahah!

      Delete
  3. Reminds me of the days when I used to take my daughter & son for roller skating to an open air auditorium (ironically on an Yezdi) They just enjoyed that wide open space.
    Talking of the particular movie of Salman Khan, after watching the movie I kept telling people why cant they make movies like this purely for entertainment, with no villains and no dishum dishum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VIP banyan clad villains...Dishum Dishum...& Empty oil barrels/cardboard boxes went on to become the erstwhile ideograms of macho rascality.
    Times have changed... Aaj kal ka corporate villains are clad in more than VIP banyans...deploy mental, rather than physical tactics ... and occupy state-of-the-art spaces....dunno, for the better or worse...

    And yes... Yezdi rocks (used to rock) !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not much of a Salman fan but this diwali they were airing MEINE PYAAR KIYA..and I was ogling big time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol...yeah! Maine Pyar Kiya does that to people :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Achan re-parked himself and had to watch his younger 4 yr old offspring crawling about and squatting on the tarmac trying to regain balance and figure out why in the world she was woken up so early and had wheels tied to her feet just because her elder sister had a crush on a human Kapottham. Oh yeah, no matter how many times you say Kobootar it's still going to be Kapotthame poyi vaa vaa (2x).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol... The unsung victim of my pigeon pangs. But we had managed to have the 'Kabootar' ensnared in our Fy-lips tape recorder.. Hehe..thanks to lighthouse that didn't sell Kapotthams! Deeper scarring averted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let the show begin!

Colossal Contemplations